The Business English Program (BEP) is designed for nonnative English-speaking professionals who wish to improve their English in order to advance in their business professions. The program helps students to achieve a high level of English language proficiency at the same time as they acquire the business skills necessary for success in English-speaking contexts. For the students in this program, English is a tool which can be used to expand their business interests in the English-speaking world.
The program provides students a comprehensive foundation in four main areas: business theory, business in practice, development of business, and English language skills. To achieve this, instructors provide appropriate and authentic learning materials and engage students in meaningful, task-based learning. Students learn about business theories, read case studies, participate in intercultural analysis and practice language application activities.
The courses within the program provide students the opportunity to not only improve their English skills but also apply them to today’s business world. The program gives nonnative English speakers the business knowledge, the cultural knowledge and the language tools they need in order to succeed in an English-speaking business environment.
Method of Instruction: On Campus or Online
Prerequisites: One of the following:
- Completion of Level 3 or higher of ALA’s Intensive English Program or English for Academic Purposes Program
- Completion of Advanced English in ALA’s General English Program
- A score of 3.0 on the iTEP standardized test of English
If students do not meet these prerequisites, they may begin the Business English Program by enrolling in and completing the High Intermediate English and Advanced English courses of the General English Program.
- Level Categories: Introduction, Managerial Skills, Area Management
- Est. Completion Date: 6 months from the start of the program
- BEP Certificate: Completion certificate provided at end of program
- Duration per Level: 9 weeks per level section/7.5 hours per week
- Program Completion Requirements: Completion of all BEP Levels
- Total number of units: 3 levels (units)
- Enrollment: Open enrollment throughout the session
- Course Schedule: Morning or Evening hours available